Name of species in english?

Foreign users are more than welcome to join our forum, and in this section all threads will be in English. Threads related to other sections are welcome here as long they are in English.
Besvar
Wampi

Name of species in english?

Indlæg af Wampi » 4. maj 2009 17:43

Well since we now got an English section of the forum, I wanted to hear if anyone could tell me the correct names of the Species of hamsters that we have?

I know Syrian Hamsters are the large ones I have at the moment..

But the dwarf species, their correct names would be nice to have...
Elsker vores søn, Erik, 19-09-11

kwo

Re: Name of species in english?

Indlæg af kwo » 4. maj 2009 17:56

Wampi skrev:Well since we now got an English section of the forum, I wanted to hear if anyone could tell me the correct names of the Species of hamsters that we have?

I know Syrian Hamsters are the large ones I have at the moment..

But the dwarf species, their correct names would be nice to have...
There is some confusion as to which names are the 'correct' ones for the smaller species of hamsters.

Chinese hamsters is the correct name for our 'kinesisk dværghamster'.
'Roborovskis dværghamster' is called either just Roborovskis hamster or Roborovskis dwarf hamster.

And the last two are best called Winter white dwarf hamster and Campbells dwarf hamster.
But I have seen them under other names similar to these.

In scientific literature, though, they are often called Russian and Dzhungarian hamsters, but since scientists can't agree as to which species should have which name, it is best not to use these names at all.
Kenneth Worm

Amun-Ra

Indlæg af Amun-Ra » 25. okt 2010 03:17

Syrian hamsters in english are simply called gold hamsters or syrians. Pretty much the same as in sweden where they say guld hamster. :D But perhaps you alredy knew that. :wink:

Besvar